Riversdale's main advantage in the tourism sector lies in its location within a few kilometres from seaside towns like Stilbaai and Witsand. At Witsand you can experience whales frolicking in San Sebastian Bay. Visit the last hand-operated Pontoon in the country at Malgas, and/or a free-range ostrich farm in the district.
You may wish to take a picnic to the De Hoop Nature Reserve. Sight-seeing trips to the forgotten little hamlet of Vermaaklikheid - and the historical monument seaside village of "Puntjie". The "Mountain Trail" at Swellendam and the famous "Groot Vadersbos" Trail at Heidelberg are also popular destinations.
It is also an excellent base for one-day trips to explore the region's natural beauty and variety of interesting places.
Riversdale lies at the foot of this peak in the Langeberg mountains.
- Churches & Residences - some dating back to the 18th century:
- Zeekoegat (1795)
- St. Matthews Church (1856)
- Old Prison (1859)
- Old Toll House (1856)
- Korente/Vette River Dam: offering water sports, hiking trails and accommodation.
- Mont Blanc Adventure Farm: surrounded with fynbos, ancient cliffs, waterfalls and indigenous forests, the farm offers 4 x 4 routes, abseiling, rock climbing, survival games, horse back safaris and hiking trails. Riversdale boasts a rich cultural heritage, especially in the fields of art and literature. Impressive examples of SA art can be viewed at the Julius Gordon Africana Centre, which houses a private collection of antiques and art works.
Places of interest in Albertinia:
- Aloe Factory - the only factory in South Africa where the aloe juice and gel are extracted from the Aloe Ferox plant and then exported for use in the manufacturing of medicine. A high quality skin range is also produced from the gel.
- Van Stadens Craft Shop on the N2 - stationery and raw materials for artwork for sale
- Museum - a live museum with a very interesting history
- Mission Street in Theronsville - an excellent example of the founders' homes and church in the coloured community.
- Dutch Reformed Church with exceptional woodwork.
- Jakkalsvlei wines - the winemaker at Jakkalsvlei, received an award for the best muscadel and hanepoot. They offer winetasting with cheese platters. Wine is for sale on the premisis.
- The highest handmade aloe in the world was made in 3 parts and put together to form the aloe of 9 metres.
- Gouriqua/Reins Nature Reserve: Extremely rare floral species and bird life. Gouritzmond: The mouth of the Gouritz River serves as a mecca for anglers, and also offers safe bathing, a tidal pool and excellent boating facilities on the lagoon.